In Her Own Time


Today someone's facebook post was a video of their baby boy sitting up with minimal support.  As I recall, her baby is about a month younger than Clara.  It made me realize how quickly Clara is already falling behind typical children developmentally.  And actually, I started realizing it last Friday when Clara's provider was here finishing up her visit and prescribed, "Tummy time, tummy time, lots and lots of tummy time."  I could see for the first time that she really meant it.  And I started realizing it after her visit when I scrolled through  my phone for photos dated September of 2011, when Lxkas was 4 months old.  He held his head high and supported his body with his back.

Clara still thinks she's a newborn.

I didn't allow the video to ruin my mood or even my moment.  It actually made me more accepting.  When Clara was born I had hope that she was going to be the exception to all children with Down syndrome; she wouldn't be delayed.  That hope slipped away today and I'm okay.

The mother of the baby in the video has a right to be proud of her little guy.  He's doing great and is developing ahead of his peers, for sure.

I told Clara a little bit ago that she needed to start taking her exercises seriously.  I told her it was time to stop being a newborn.  She just smiled at me and started her adorable cooing.

She can be a newborn as long as she likes.

My baby girl isn't going to keep pace with all the other babies out there her age, or even younger.  She'll develop when she sees fit.  At least she's damn cute doing it her own way.

I'm so proud of my little Clara.  She's being all she wants to be in her own time.

posted by Kel on

No comments

Popular Posts