Scraping By


I'm sure there are friends, family and acquaintances who would state with certainty that I screwed up big when I left a good job permanently rather than take 6 weeks maternity leave.  After all, it was my job that has afforded my family an easy lifestyle in which we knew the bills would be paid, we could maintain a roof over our heads, food would be on the table and we could take a nice vacation now and then.

As further proof that I screwed up, I am finding it difficult to find another job in that pay grade, let alone a lower pay grade.  I can't even get called for jobs that don't require a degree.  I've applied for over 50 jobs in the past month, and I've been called for two interviews.  I cancelled one.  It was too similar to the job I just left.  I don't want to live my work anymore.  I want to work and then come home and live.

And even further proof I screwed up?  Daycare in this area where we live is not affordable with two babies.  The job I left was in a city where daycare is more than half the price of what I will end up paying here.  If I accept a job, it has to be at a certain starting salary, because with daycare expenses we may as well be paying a full-time employee $10 an hour.  It's the same cost.  If I took a starter job at $11 an hour, I would actually be bringing home $1 an hour.  Before taxes.

So, did I screw up?  Everyone might think so, but I don't think so.

We've weighed this out and we've decided that I will keep looking for a job and if I receive an offer at a certain minimum salary I will accept it; but, until then, I'm staying home with the babies and applying for disability for Clara.  I think that added income will keep us out of the red.  We may come out flat (we hope), but we will manage (we hope).  And as long as I get to stay home with these two wonderful creatures that keep my own my toes, Momma's happy.  This is what I want.  This is what I have desperately wanted since I found out last November that Clara would be born with Down syndrome.

It's slightly scary.  But, if I don't get called for interviews I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  Daddy thinks we can do this.  So do I.

Welcome me to being poor.  But happy.  Go me.


posted by Kel on ,

No comments

Popular Posts