Morning Babies


Mornings have become a ritualistic part of the day for me.  Because we live in a 3 bedroom home both babies bunk with Cxdy and I.  Lxkas has a toddler bed and Clara sleeps in her crib.  However, some time during the night, one or both of them usually ends up sleeping with us.  Clara is starting to sleep through the night, but occasionally she'll still want an early morning feeding.  Lxkas sometimes wakes up scared and makes his way up the bed on his daddy's side, cruising over daddy in four wheel drive and settling himself in between us.  If they are crowding us (I can't believe I said "if"), once they have fallen back asleep usually one of us manages to hold our eyes open and move our bodies upright long enough to put them back in their own beds.  And then, on weekdays, Cxdy drags himself out of bed at about 6:15 am to prepare himself for work.  Half an hour later, he is gone.  Usually Clara will wake again for a feeding shortly after, so she comes back to bed with me.  We cuddle in the center.  A short time later, perhaps hearing our stirs, Lxkas comes climbing in to join us.  Sometimes he falls back asleep; sometimes he becomes active enough to convince us it's time to get up.

This might annoy most people who need that peaceful nights sleep without interruption, but I have become accustomed to it, and honestly, I just really don't mind.  I don't even mind sharing our room--for now--especially on mornings like this morning.

This morning, I had Clara on my left and she and I were facing each other.  Lxkas crawled into bed as usual and granted me a wish by falling back to sleep, his front side to my back side.  So, I had two babies wedged pretty tightly into me and it was the most comforting feeling I think I've ever experienced in 41 years.  His body was soft and warm against me, like a down pillow fresh out of the dryer; and even though I couldn't move an 1/8 of an inch I found myself smiling.  I don't know how he did it, but he had found the perfect position.  When Clara finished nursing she looked up at my face softly cooing and grinning like a shy child meeting a friend for the first time.  Love cannot describe how much I enjoy her smiles, but especially the ones she was blessing me with this morning.

It was a pleasant morning and it made getting out of bed all the more pleasant.  I wiggled free of the babies, kissed and tickled Lxkas until he was smiling and waking, then went about getting dressed for the day.

We all got our smiles in this morning.  I must say, I'm a lucky old momma.

Clara contently wiggling around in her bed while I ready myself for the day.

posted by Kel on

1 comment

1 comment

Popular Posts