1.7X


My priorities are always shifting.  Right now my top two are finding a job and living longer.  Oh, and I've finally decided what I want to be when I grow up.

When I was recently met by the Department of Human Services following the incident that changed our lives, I found myself less than impressed with the woman who had come to my home representing the organization to take a report.  She wasn't compassionate toward any of us, and I don't necessarily expect that, but when she sat on my couch and began texting I became perturbed.  An officer was sitting across from her writing his report.  After several minutes I finally spoke up:  "I feel like we're waiting for something?"

She looked up and looked at the officer, "I'm waiting on you."
To which he replied, "Oh, I was waiting on you.  I thought you wanted to walk through the house?"

Did they really think I wanted them kicking back in my living room (she had made herself very comfortable on my couch) for the evening texting and what not?

People like me, going through what I was going through at that time, shouldn't have to put up with this type of disregard for my situation and invasion of my personal time.  I think I could do her job better.  I think I could do her job with more empathy and more compassion, and I would be damn good at it.  Nobody understands me when I tell them, because after all, I had a really good job as a marketing manager, and I made good money.  But money doesn't make me happy.  I know that now.

I want to be a social worker.  And this worker is not my sole inspiration; it's also Clara.  It's all my children.  It's my compassion for people who find themselves down on their luck at no fault of their own.  It's mothers of children with disabilities who have limited resources and need a little guidance and help.  It's people who need someone to help them that understands.  And I understand.

I took a required state test for the position and passed.  Passing is a 55 and I made a 78.  That's not a great score, but I happen to know a social worker who has a masters in this type of work with a minor in psychology and she made a 79.  And she's smart!  I'm just waiting on that phone call for an interview.

And yes, going through this incident has made me realize I need to live forever--or at least as long as Clara is here.  While that's not likely to happen, I am heeding advice from various articles giving tips for life longevity.  One is eating a handful of nuts daily, which has been linked to longer life spans.  Another link is having a waist that measures less than half your height.  I have some work to do in that area, but I'm doing it.  I'm eating better and I'm exercising.

According to a report by UNICEF, annually, children with disabilities are 1.7 times more likely to be the victim of abuse than their non-disabled counterparts.  This will not happen to Clara on my watch.  Nor will it happen to any of my children ever again.


posted by Kel on , , , , ,

1 comment

1 comment

  1. Anonymous

Popular Posts