3 for 21 WDSD Blog Hop


The awesome Meriah Nichols created a blog hop to commemorate World Down Syndrome Day.  She is looking for a fact, a fallacy and a photo--related to Down sydrome, of course.

I should have created this post 2 days ago, but 2 days ago I had already started yesterday's post (it's taking me two days to complete a decent size entry these days, and some just aren't getting finished) and today has been crazy.  Clara hasn't been feeling good and has been a little crank all day.  Right now she's napping and this has been calling me--for 2 days.

First, I offer you a fact:  Anyone can have a child with Down syndrome.  It doesn't occur because of something the mother or father has done and it doesn't discriminate by race.  Trisomy 21 is a naturally occurring chromosomal arrangement.  I like to say that Clara is rare because it only happens in approximately 1 in 700 births.

There are lots of fallacies associated with Down syndrome, but I think the craziest one I've heard yet is babies born with Ds "are already the highest angels in God's kingdom."  That is a direct quote. Now, I have no scientific information or tangible evidence to refute this statement, but I think this may be a spin-off of the ole "children with Down syndrome are always happy" statement.  Maybe.

The truth is, Clara might be sweet, and she might be precious, but she's no angel.  She's quite the little fussy, bossy britches and everything about her tells me she's quite human.

It scares me when people talk like that.  Please don't ever talk to me like that.  Thank you.

Last, I give you the photo of little Clara as she was today on 3.21.

Happy World Down Syndrome Day, my precious angel (and I don't mean angel literally).

posted by Kel on , , ,

2 comments

2 comments

Popular Posts