The Tinies and Me


The last week zipped by me.  Goals slid by unaccomplished and I have a neglected list of "to dos" on my phone that I never even got a chance to look at.  What did I do with a whole week of time?  I juggled babies.  One morning felt like all I did was change poopie diapers, but most mornings and afternoons I really felt like I accomplished very little.  And I suppose the accomplishments were/are small but as a whole they are gigantic, as evidenced by two happy and healthy children.

I felt celebratory to see Friday come along, as it was the signal to the end of a very boring week.  I hope that the more I adjust to staying home with the tinies the easier it will all get and maybe I can squeeze some "me" things between the mundane.

But right now Clara still has on average two doctor appointments a week, and now we are beginning her EI (early intervention).  We had a short visit with a coordinator from the state, as she visited us at home to present the highlights of the program.  Next Friday we meet Clara's assigned provider (therapist).  It sounds promising and I'm looking forward to learning about ways in which I can help Clara to "be all she can be" (their words).

Although uneventful, the week was as a whole very positive.  It started at the pediatricians on Monday, which the only point of the visit was to weigh her and the great news was she had gained weight.  She tipped the scales at a hearty 6 pounds 8 ounces. The doctor was relieved to tell me he'd see us back in two months.

Dressed up for her Friday visits.
Friday morning we visited the hematologist's office for a blood draw to find out Clara's platelet level and after a short wait found out her platelets are up again at 87,000 per microlitre.  This was great news considering all the threats a low platelet count can signal for a child with Down syndrome.  The doctor felt so good about it she didn't think she needed to see Clara again for 2 weeks, at which point (we are keeping our fingers crossed) we will find her count has gone up to normal.

It was a great week for Clara, medically speaking.  We also finally got her eye appointment scheduled for the end of the month.  Next week she sees the cardiologist.

Friday night Cxdy and I decided to prepare a Mexican dinner (or if you want to be technical I'm sure it was more Tex/Mex) of enchiladas and rice.  I popped in an Alicia Keys cd I had picked up earlier in the week and as he created the enchiladas I worked the rice from a recipe a friend on Facebook had sent me (she's Mexican so it had to be good--and it was).  I made myself a margarita to aid in my relaxation (oddly, I find cooking with Cxdy to be relaxing) and sipped it as I stirred ingredients with one hand and gently bounced Clara in the other.   Lxkas played around our legs, occasionally requiring chastising as he dug through the lower cabinets, as is the norm.

The music, the food, the company, the drink--it was all perfect.  This was Mommy, Daddy and the tinies in the kitchen doing their thing and enjoying it, and I took a moment to pause and enjoy it.

I guess boring has its rewards.

Juggling tinies.

posted by Kel on , , ,

No comments

Popular Posts