Community


Lxkas's toddler bed still isn't here.  It would seem that it is lost.  The freight company is supposed to be locating it.  If I don't hear back from them by this afternoon I'll call Amazon and see if they can send another bed through a different freight company.  We need that bed!

*

Some of the things that Lxkas unintentionally does just amaze me.  There is a show on PBS called Signing Time and it's a half hour of learning sign language.  He absolutely loves that show, but I wasn't sure if he was learning anything.  I thought I would see him moving his hands but I couldn't be positive he was trying to sign.  Then last week he turned around and looked at me and said "book"; and at the same time he signed book.  I repeated it and signed back and he could see the joy on my face because every time he says book now he also signs it.  Unfortunately, the show comes on when he is usually ready for a nap so I'm going to have to see if Netflix has it.

As you may know (but may not), a lot of children with Down syndrome will learn sign language before they learn to speak, so this is actually important to us.  I don't know a lot of sign language either, so I tend to pay attention during Signing Time as well.  Hey, we've got book down!

*

There is a forum I visit and someone there had mentioned that they had sent educating Down syndrome links to family and friends after receiving the diagnosis so they could learn about the disability as well; and then they expressed disappointment when those family members and friends didn't even look at the links.  I had done the same thing, and I was surprised when I realized they didn't feel the way I did, which was to know and understand everything I could.  But then, if you aren't the parents, I guess understanding the condition isn't really your problem and there are better things to do, right?

I don't have bad feelings about this because I get it.  But I think this also explains to me why there are a ton of parents of children with Down syndrome out there blogging--because there are people to reach out to, though they may not be family and friends--and these families have networked out of necessity for support.  I have been amazed to find such an intelligent and knowledgeable online community with members who are waiting to support and assist other parents who may be new to this.  And I am learning from those people, and so grateful they take the time to share their discoveries.

*

Oh, and guess what?  Clara will be here in 4 days.  Mommy is starting to get restless.  I barely slept last night.

posted by Kel on ,

No comments

Popular Posts